Thursday, July 21, 2011

Here we go

Today I start.  I'm anxious, a little afraid, but mostly just ready to get going.  I've decided to address the "elephant in the room" right now and talk about my expectations for weight loss.  "The Fasting Cure" by Upton Sinclair was written in 1910 and as I was reading it I kept noticing a very unexpected attitude.  Upton mentioned a great deal of weight being lost while fasting, but it was almost as if he was apologizing for this fact.  He was always quick to follow up with some type of positive statement about how this weight was immediately regained as soon as the fast was broken!  Oh, how times have changed.

So, back to my expectations.  I'm not overweight.  I'm not terribly thin either.  So, I expect to lose some weight but not a lot.  Most likely I will gain it back after I break the fast.  Luckily, weight loss is not my primary objective here.  My body needs a rest.  Modern times, stress, pollution and the infiltration of a Western Diet (despite my best intentions) have made me weary.  I need a break and so does my body.

No comments:

Post a Comment