Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The beginning

I was recently reading a book by Upton Sinclair.  No, it wasn't "The Jungle".  In fact, the book is called "The Fasting Cure" and I have to say that Upton spoke to me.  I'm not a fan of being hungry so I was surprised that I am now convinced to give it a try.  To be honest though--my motivations are complicated.  I'm trying to figure out what I think and most of all reconnect my mind with my body.

So, I ask myself all the time:  "how is it possible that you do not know what you think?" I'm well educated.  I'm smart. I'm also getting older (isn't that supposed to equate with being wiser?), but often I find that either:  1) I see many sides of an argument so clearly that I find it difficult to plant myself in one camp or the other or else  2) when it comes to health and nutrition, my body and the current dogma or even what makes logical sense in my brain seem to disagree.   I think that Upton would nod his head at number 2.  In fact, perhaps there are many of us in this situation.  We think we've come upon the holy grail of health only to find out in a month or two (or day or hour) that we've gone back to our old habits and are again searching for that ultimate truth that will set us free from the tyranny of poor health.  This brings me back to the book "The Fasting Cure".  Upton was a big fan of true fasting.  That is to say NO food whatsoever.  Jesus fasted for 40 days.  I'm aiming for 5.  I've considered the popularity of juicing fasts and all the other popular "cleanses", but I think I'm going to stick to the basics for now.  Crazy?  Maybe.  I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! I have feasted for 13 days. I ALWAYS listen to my body and when it is time, I honor that. I use a great juice formula and organic veggies and fruits. My your body be blessed by doing this.

    ReplyDelete